Friday, March 11, 2011

Trip to Mahalo Mountains and Dam










The faculty at NHTC arranged an outing to the Mahalo Mountains and Dam. We spent almost the whole day driving through mountains and around mountains and the views just got better and better and more breathtaking. I felt as though we were driving up the highway to heaven! Through all the mountains there were villages lots of animals, cows, goats, sheep wandering on the sides of the steep mountains. There was always at least one family member attending to the animals. But, about 7,000 - 8,000 feet up- I wasn't expecting sheep to be grazing! As if that wasn't exciting enough, we came to the Lodge and the Dam- I am attaching a few pictures knowing that they do not do justice to the majesty and awe we experienced that day. We picniced along the edge of the dam and did some minor climbing. The sky was azure blue with a few big white clouds floating by, the only sound was the water lapping at the edge of land. What a relaxing and peaceful day. And great companionship getting to know more about each other's cultures. We chatted most of the trip, and I was priviledged to see the village where one of my colleagues family is from!

6 Comments:

Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

It looks beautiful! I bet it sure is exciting to be visiting and learning there. It seems like an interesting place to learn so many new things. I hope you are enjoying it.

4:44 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

5:10 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

It looks like a truly beautiful place to visit! What is the process for being able to travel and study in places like that?
(Ashley HESC 1010I)

5:13 PM  
Blogger Jill HESC 1010 said...

Jill HESC 1010
It's beautiful! I'm glad you're able to have these experiences and learn so much about other cultures. Be careful and have an awesome time!

1:06 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

Josie HESC 1010

Amazing!! Your profession takes you to some of the most awe striking places! While I was stationed in Hawaii, I learned that the word "Mahalo" means "Thank you" in Hawaiian. I wonder if the people of Tanzania knew that when they named the mountain and dam. Your work seems so interesting and rewarding. I think that what you do is awesome.

10:05 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home