Wednesday, September 09, 2009

Flat Stanley Visits Morogoro, Tanzania

Flat Stanley is a United States student. His story goes like this: Stanley was giving a report in front of the blackboard in his class when the blackboard fell down on him and flattened him. Now Stanley is 'flat' and travels where ever his classmates mail him. When he arrives at his destination, he makes new friends and visits exciting new places; of course he takes alot of pictures of what he does. This way children in all classes everywhere can learn about places they cannot travel to!
Flat Stanley traveled with me to Tanzania and attended the Curriculum Standardization and Teaching Methodologies Workshop!

Flat Stanley traveled with me to Tanzania and was so popular that he was given a Tanzanian name: Zuma (which means week in Swahili). I was then given the name: Mama Zuma as that is how people are named in Tanzania- assuming I was Zuma's mother! At any rate, we all enjoyed taking Zuma with us as we visited different places around Tanzania. Mr. David Ocheng, AMREF, asked to have Zuma remain in Tanzania for a few weeks- he will continue to take pictures and email them to me. I will share pictures as I receive them!

This is me, Stanley Juma, in my room at the Morogoro Hotel. To protect me from contracting malaria the hotel uses netting to cover my bed and keep mosquitoes out! You also see a salmon-colored silk sleeping bag liner- I use that to keep bedbugs away from me while I sleep! The silk liner travels in my carry-on bag so I don't lose it while traveling!


Wednesday I was invited to have lunch with Mr. Ocheng. Look at this delicious lunch! Lots of fresh vegetables and chicken AND watermellon for dessert. We have Tea Break every morning and afternoon too! I could get used to this lifestyle.



Here I am with Tanzanian Professors writing objectives for a class lecture on HIV infection and diagnosis- We are in Group 5 and I am sure we will give the best presentation!



Here I am below with ASCP consultants, Perthena and Marie. I love watermellon and in Tanzania fresh fruit is dessert. WOW!

10 Comments:

Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

Seeing this makes me so thankful for the luxuries we do have here in the U.S. such as running water, opportunity for education, food,etc. It is an eye opener being able to see through pictures the way people in other countries live in order to just survive. I know you are enjoying your travels. (Cynthia Callahan HESC 1010 071I)

11:56 AM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

Ashley Kirk Section (071J). You are a truely great person for going to Tanzania. I really respect you for givng up so much to help the others in the world. I hope the bedbugs dont bite. good luck on your trip

4:58 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

I also am very grateful for the oppurtunities we have here in the U.S. But i'm sure being there, seeing, and experiencing their heritage is an awesome oppurtunity!!
Brittany Mitchell HESC 1010 071J

8:15 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

It is truly amazing what you do everyday in while you travel. I would love to be able to have the opportunity to travel like you do someday.
(Caitlin Walker HESC 1010 071I)

10:34 PM  
Blogger Leia Johnson said...

Leia Johnson (HESC 1010 Section0711)

I think that it is so amazing that you are able to do the things you do and travel. It looks like you touch a lot of lives and have been able to pursue what makes you happy. Seeing all the blogs and reading the exciting things you do is a real lesson in life. Have a great trip.

12:24 AM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

Adriene Strong
HESC 1010 -071J

I think that the Flat Stanley idea is a wonderful idea. This allows many students to be able to see parts of the world that they may never get a chance to learn about. This is such a creative way to invlove students in the learning process. I actually had a friend that called and asked if they could send Flat Kerra to me and if I could take her on a journey in my home town. I have a list of places that I am ready to show Flat Kerra and my camera is ready to take pictures. This is a wonderful idea.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

I think what you are doing is amazing. One of my goals for getting into the medical field is to help others like you do. Although my concentrationis in radiology I hope one day to get my Dr.'s degree in diagnostic radiology and join Dr.'s without borders and travel the world helping the less fortunate. thank you for being an inspiration to me to continue my education.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

I think what you are doing is amazing. I hope to one day earn my degree as a diagnostic radiologist and join Dr.'s without borders, so I can travel the world helping others that are less fortunate. Thank you for inspiring me to continue my education. We as Americans, although we are struggling with the economy right now, are such a fortunate country and should thank God every night that we live here.

Anita Mayeaux HESC 1010 Spring 2010

8:56 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

I think getting to visit all the different countries would be great, getting to bring solutions and help to countries who are not as equipped as we are. I hope to one day get to visit and work in that type of enviroment. I also think it would be fun to include some junior high or high school with the flat stanley project. I would have enjoyed that project while in high school, getting to work as a class and see how things are in different countries.

Lindsey Rogers
HESC 1010
Spring 2010

3:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home