Sunday, November 29, 2009

Viet Nam, Cambodia, Bangkok


Viet Nam is a new country requesting assistance through PEPFAR. CDC-vn, in conjunction with Hanoi Medical University, requested assistance with standardizing their Medical Laboratory Science (MLS) program. The department separated from the Medical School program and want to move from knowledge-based to competency-based with their Med Lab Science program. Currently they have a 4-year BS degree and want to modify that program as well as add a 2-year program and a master's level program.
So, my colleagues and I met with faculty in the MLS department to discuss their strengths and modification suggestions. Additionally, we visited three separately-funded hospitals and laboratories to meet and begin an initial evaluation of their laboratory infrastructure.

5 Comments:

Blogger TSauseda said...

Hello Dr. Robinson:

I know that you must be proud to have the opportuntity to provide your service with ASCP and CDC to increase laboratory capacity and sustainability in countries with high HIV/AIDS rates. The spread of AIDS in these countries are very alarming and there is a real need for people like you to reach out and provide your assistance. The healthcare and global communication is important in reaching individuals and stopping the spread of disease. It was educational to view your web page and to learn about this topic. Thank you

10:00 PM  
Blogger TSauseda said...

Tamela Sauseda-Hesc 1010 Sect. 071I see comment.

10:57 PM  
Blogger Racheal HESC 1010 said...

What a great way to share your knowledge with others. I think is awesome to be able to witness your willingness to help others world-wide. You not only "talk the talk" you also "walk the walk". Your dedication is a source of encouragement to so many and I appreciate what you do. Hopefully one day I will get to travel with you.

Lindsey Rogers
HESC 1010 (071I)

3:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I think it is great to be able to travel all over the world teaching others and encouraging them to do better in the medical field. Many countries aren't aware of all the diseases and health complications which require certain vaccines or treatments. So people like you are helping those in need and that is awesome!
Emily Bordelon HESC 1010 (071l)

10:34 AM  
Blogger medtechtravel said...

How did I get involved? I am a medical technologist and love the medical laboratory. I also have a passion for community service. When I received an email from ASCP asking for volunteers to work with PEPFAR in improving lab services, I applied, went through several interviews, and was accepted! My husband is a retired AF fighter pilot, so as a family we moved around and lived in Germany and Japan. We all feel comfortable out of our "comfort zone"! All the experiences just seemed to fit together and I absolutely love being a part of something so positive and needed on a global basis. I have always wanted to "make a difference"; and combining my education, experience, and passion just seems to be the right way to do that!

1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home